Thursday, November 12, 2009

India Report #2 (Click Here for Photos)

After preaching on Sunday in the village of Rajupalem, I was privileged to teach about 75 evangelists on Monday. They were gathered for monthly training at ALMA in Nellore. I had worked the day before on a lesson plan about ministering in the power of the Spirit. An hour before the meeting, Rufus asked that I speak on Christmas. He wanted a practical sermon the evangelists could repeat in their 280 village churches this December.

Flexibility comes much easier to the Indian than the American. Rufus was right though and the new lesson was much better than the old one. We had a good time getting the evangelists to act out a modern-day version of the Mary and Joseph story that took place in an Indian village. It is awesome to think I was really preaching to thousands of believers spread over the hundreds of churches the evangelists will reach.

Next I flew with Richard Harris to the green state of Kerala. The Kerala motto is “God’s own country,” and it fits. A four-hour drive through jungle-draped hills took us to the Mankulam Punjayat (a punjayat is a collection of villages). I had forgotten how much the road winds and how primeval the mountains are. Think of Jurassic Park or Bali High in the movie Hawaii and you will have the idea.

After reuniting with some of our local contacts, we investigated possible land sites for the orphanage. Next we walked through a bamboo forest to view a massive waterfall. Wearing sandals, our feet collected dozens of leeches. As we pealed them from our skin, the rush was on because we could see more of the bloodsuckers walking end-over-end towards us. Eeek! We laughed and hurried on.

Other than the leeches, this would be an excellent place for abused children to heal and know the love of Jesus. I look forward to seeing what the Lord has in store.

After three days in the mountains, Richard and I are now headed to Mumbai (Bombay) to see about how to collect children from the brothels and streets. God seems to be placing all the right contacts around us. However, it is a constant challenge to avoid others who’s interests are selfish.

Travelers tip: In Nellore I washed my clothes in a bucket then hung them under fans for three days. Because of the constant rains, the clothes never dried. I packed them wet and by the time we flew to Kerala, everything was sour. I gave them to the hotel to wash again, and again they were returned wet. After toting the soggy laundry to Cochin, I decided drastic measures were in order before the cycle repeated. The hotel gave us an iron that I planned to use to dry the clothes but it would not get hot enough. Before packing the clothes for another flight to Mumbai, I popped them into the microwave; two minutes for shirts, one for underwear. It worked great and I am happy to report my clothes are clean and dry.

Normally my undies are fairly clean, but if ever you visit the Lotus Hotel in Cochin, you might want to avoid heating your food in the microwave in room 303.

Peace.