Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Crossing Fences


 


 

For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Jhn 3:17


 

Bothell was talking to Rupert over the picket fence that separated their yards. He was thinking about the other fence that divided them when Rupert said, "Bothell, has anyone ever said you are a strange Christian?"


 

"I'm a strange Christian? What kind am I?" Bothell looked into his neighbor's face to see if he was serious but the morning sun blinded him.


 

"Most people shun Gorge and me, they don't want our type in the neighborhood," with a dramatic flourish Rupert waived a folded newspaper across the block of trendy homes. "From the beginning you have been a real friend. That's just not normal."


 

Bothell smiled inside at the fact that Rupert still had his florescent yellow, green, and pink robe on. He sent a silent prayer up, Lord give me the right words, I really love this guy. "When I read my Bible I don't see where Jesus went around condemning anybody accept the self-righteous. He was a friend of the downtrodden and of sinners like me. He said he came to seek and save us." Rupert seemed to be tracking so Bothell pressed on. "I hope what you see in me is a little of the real Jesus; a friend who loves and cares about you and Gorge."


 

"Oh you are just so sweet," Rupert reached over with a hug and a flutter of pats on the back.


 

"I know many Christians are judgmental and Rupert I apologize on their behalf. But I am another sinner who needs forgiveness and sometimes multipul second chances and that is why Jesus came." Bothell knew his friend was a victim of lies and he felt the Lord drawing Rupert through love first so there would be strength to confront sinfulness later. Rupert's eyes moistened and Bothell knew that any awareness of the fence between them had vanished.


 

Prayer: Savior of the world, lead me across fences to rescue victims.