Tuesday, January 01, 2008

All Authority

Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me." Mat 28:18


 

Nearly seven miles down at the bottom of the ocean live fantastic creatures. Below the reach of sunlight are the tentacled, razor-fanged, and bioluminescent inspirations of science fiction. Less than ten percent of these life forms have ever been seen or catalogued by humans. Jesus has authority over it all.


 

2.7 million light-years away is nebula NGC 604. At the center 200 hot stars up to 60 times the size of our sun cause wisps of gaseous cotton candy 1,500 light-years across to fluoresce blue-green. Jesus has authority over it all.


 

"Hello Mike," the angel Gabriel greets Archangel Michael in a voice that booms with the crashing of a thousand waves. The two hover among otherworldly creatures so luminous a bold earthling would wet himself in their presence. Jesus has authority over it all.


 

In Karachi, Pakistan a clean cut man barely 19 years old is blindfolded and forced to kneel as he is circled by drunk activists. "You are enemy to Allah," the leader spits and hurls a jagged rock at the victim's back. "Say to us 'Christ is cursed' or that will be only the first of the stones that kill you." Jesus has authority over it all.


 

In my little life are troubles I feel are somehow outside the concern of our Lord. I spend hours deliberating how I can solve my problems because I fear no one else understands these matters like I do. I fret over what may come next and how to control it. What if I have to suffer or die? The fragility of my heart nevertheless does not change the fact that Jesus has authority over my every problem just as He does the rest of the universe. He will be right there to carry me through, show me ultimate goodwill, and reward me in paradise far beyond what I deserve. The One who has authority over it all is on my side and will not let me go.


 

Prayer: Holy Jesus, forgive my doubting Your authority.