Thursday, November 15, 2007

Highly Esteemed

“Do not be afraid, O man highly esteemed," he said. "Peace! Be strong now; be strong." Dan 10:19

I e-mailed this verse from Daniel chapter 10 to Dave Fortescue, a co-laborer I greatly admire. Dave was born in Zimbabwe, trained in the States, then returned home as a missionary. His white-skinned round body and pale blue eyes make him an enigma among the black Africans he longs to bring to Christ. The Lord was using Dave along with a handful of the faithful to launch a revival movement in Zimbabwe when I was called away by my mother’s death. On the heals of our separation one discouragement after another was hurled at Dave and they began to consume him. He had what it took to continue the revival if he would depend on Jesus and stay strong. I finally rejoiced over a message from Dave that included the lines, “[We] met on Saturday to pick up revival again. Good things to look forward to.”

I am just like Dave. I find it difficult to believe I am highly esteemed by God and capable of His power working through me. I cannot get past the brokenness of my life to move on to glory. How can the perfect Almighty be enthusiastic about a person with my hang-ups?

In high school a hypnotist provided entertainment during an assembly in our gymnasium. He put a group of students into a wakeful trance then told them they had heavy weights pulling down on their bodies. They drooped and sank in their chairs, some slipped to the ground unable to rise.

Satan deploys untruth to weigh us down until we are rendered ineffective for the Kingdom of God. “You are worthless, unclean, God disdains you, opposition and failure will stop you at every turn.” However real his suggestions feel they are nothing but the lies of an evil hypnotist. Illness, disagreements, lack of funding, and temptation are never eternal nor are they limiting to God. Not only can He work around them He can work through them. God is not disgusted with those in Christ on the contrary we are highly esteemed, praised by Heaven, and capable of astonishing works of power and grace.

Prayer: My King, make my heart strong for You.