Monday, December 19, 2005

The Christmas Feeling

…sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; poor, yet making many rich; having nothing, and yet possessing everything. 2 Cor 6:10

It was Christmas Eve. My two sisters and I were wound up and expectant. We were seven, six, and four years old; I was the middle one. Anticipation of the next day and the gifts it would bring made us giddy. We put our heads on the pillows because Christmas could not come until we slept through the night. Warm bodies in jammies twitched with delight as we giggled ourselves to sleep. It was the Christmas feeling.

With a little nostalgic daydreaming, I can resurrect the Christmas feeling. My heart speeds up, senses come alert, and excitement chases away sadness. The Christmas feeling—it has to be the closest thing to the joy of anticipating the incredible inheritance we have in Christ. It is just ahead, right after the night of this life. We are not there yet. We have yet to wake up and race to the tree. Nevertheless, we know our gifts are there, waiting. We have seen the colorful wrapping, shaken the boxes, and made our best guesses. Our imaginations run wild. The Giver dropped clues that whatever is inside will be wonderful beyond description. Somehow, we have to get through the night. However, what is one short night when all that blessedness waits under the tree in paradise?

Paul, I hear you when you speak of sorrow and poverty, but I also hear you talk about rejoicing, being rich, and possessing everything. I know exactly what you mean. We are not there yet. We still have bills, illness, and unsaved loved ones. Yet we are bursting with anticipation of tomorrow morning. Each eternal present, sitting right now inside those boxes in heaven, already has our name on them; they are our possessions. We are happier than happy at the thought of unwrapping them. We have the Christmas feeling, and this is no Santa Clause story—it is the real thing.

Prayer: Lord, tonight as I think about what I have in You, I will giggle myself to sleep.