Saturday, June 04, 2005

Sermon – No Fear June 5, 2005


Intro
(Video #1)

While we were in Africa we ran into something unusual. This was my fifth trip and, for a reason I’m still trying to make sense of, there were an unusual number of battles against demons. What we ran into were the kinds of encounters we read about in the Gospels. For example:

Luke 4:33-35
33 In the synagogue there was a man possessed by a demon, an evil spirit. He cried out at the top of his voice, 34 "Ha! What do you want with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are-the Holy One of God!"

35 "Be quiet!" Jesus said sternly. "Come out of him!" Then the demon threw the man down before them all and came out without injuring him.

Mark 9:17-27
17 A man in the crowd answered, "Teacher, I brought you my son, who is possessed by a spirit that has robbed him of speech. 18 Whenever it seizes him, it throws him to the ground. He foams at the mouth, gnashes his teeth and becomes rigid. I asked your disciples to drive out the spirit, but they could not."

19 "O unbelieving generation," Jesus replied, "how long shall I stay with you? How long shall I put up with you? Bring the boy to me."

20 So they brought him. When the spirit saw Jesus, it immediately threw the boy into a convulsion. He fell to the ground and rolled around, foaming at the mouth.

21 Jesus asked the boy's father, "How long has he been like this?"

"From childhood," he answered. 22 "It has often thrown him into fire or water to kill him. But if you can do anything, take pity on us and help us."

23 "'If you can'?" said Jesus. "Everything is possible for him who believes."

24 Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"

25 When Jesus saw that a crowd was running to the scene, he rebuked the evil spirit. "You deaf and mute spirit," he said, "I command you, come out of him and never enter him again."

26 The spirit shrieked, convulsed him violently and came out. The boy looked so much like a corpse that many said, "He's dead." 27 But Jesus took him by the hand and lifted him to his feet, and he stood up.

I want to show you a couple of videos of baptisms of demon possessed people.

(Video #2)

Six times during our short trip we were involved in battling demons. It raised questions like:

 What is going wrong that evil spirits are having such a hey-day?
 What can we do to help?
 Why does there seem to be so many more encounters I Africa?
 Do we have demons here?

I have been praying about these and the Lord has given a few insights. To the question of demons in America, I’d have to defer to Ephesians 6:

Eph 6:12
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

Supernatural Denial
Yes, we have demons but they use very different manifestations. In Western culture the greatest ploy of the demonic is to get humans all the way to death with little or no belief in the supernatural. This week I had a conversation with my sister-in-law, Judy. Dani’s and Judy’s mother is dieing of cancer and in her last few days on earth. I asked Judy, “Are you confident your mother is going to paradise?”

She said, “Oh, for sure and it makes all the difference.” She went on, “When my father-in-law passed away, my mother-in-law said she believed when we die we just turn into dirt and that is that. I feel really sorry for people who believe that. Their grief must be enormous.”

What better ploy could there be for demons but to get us to discount the supernatural until death. Then, when it is too late and we are in their hands for eternity, we finally learn the truth.

I hope you will come back next week to hear Lindsey’s testimony about her experience in Africa. She put it really well when she said demons in the US use materialism and pleasure to fill us instead of overt possession. We have very real enemies who are jealous of the love God has for us and so they mean to do us as much harm as possible.

Rev 12:10-12
For the accuser of our brothers,
who accuses them before our God day and night,
has been hurled down.
11 They overcame him
by the blood of the Lamb
and by the word of their testimony;
they did not love their lives so much
as to shrink from death.
12 Therefore rejoice, you heavens
and you who dwell in them!
But woe to the earth and the sea,
because the devil has gone down to you!
He is filled with fury,
because he knows that his time is short."

While the demons usually manifest differently, I have seen one tactic they most often use everywhere in the world. Let’s see if you can guess what it is. I’ll give you some hints. The most frequent command in the Bible is to avoid succumbing to this tactic. Do you know what that command is?

It is what Gabriel said to Mary:

Luke 1:30
Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God.
KJV

It is what the angel of the Lord said to Abraham:

Gen 15:1
15:1 After this, the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision:
"Do not be afraid, Abram.”

What the angel said to Hagar:

Gen 21:17
17 God heard the boy crying, and the angel of God called to Hagar from heaven and said to her, "What is the matter, Hagar? Do not be afraid;

What Moses said to the Israelites:

Ex 14:13
13 Moses answered the people, "Do not be afraid. Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the LORD will bring you today.

What David told Solomon as he transferred the throne:

1 Chron 22:13
Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or discouraged.

What Jesus said to the Apostles:

Jn 14:[27] Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

What Jesus said to the church:

Rev 1:17 "Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. [18] I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive forever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.

Fear not! It is repeated over 400 times. Fear is the primary tool of demons. They are bullies and use fear to distract us from using our secret weapon. That weapon is Jesus. No demon can stand in the presence of Christ. They shriek and flee when His name is invoked. So my primary message to the Africans was the same message I now pass on to you. Use your secret weapon against all fear.

1 John 4:18
There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear…

Jesus is perfect love. Use Jesus against fear. When you are afraid of:

 Loss of health
 Being fired from your job
 Not being accepted
 Aging
 Loneliness
 Not paying bills
 Failure
 Death

Whatever your fear, bring it to Jesus. I wanted Africans to pick up this secret weapon and take authority over their demonic bullies. We need to do the exact same thing. Listen to the authority given to those who have been adopted into God’s family.

Rom 8:15-17
For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father."

1 Peter 3:14-15
"Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened." 15 But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord.

Luke 10:17-20
17 The seventy-two returned with joy and said, "Lord, even the demons submit to us in your name."

18 He replied, "I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven. 19 I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you. 20 However, do not rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven."

Here is a verse we used over and over in Africa:

1 John 4:4
You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.

Going Deeper
With that said, can we go one level deeper in this discussion? I am going to admit a faulty line of thinking Satan has caught me in so that it might help you avoid the same trap. That line of thinking goes like this:

I know God is God and Creator and He sent His Son and all that, but He is keeping His distance from me because He is repulsed by my weakness and pathetic lack of fortitude.
Satan has an easy time with this lie because that is exactly how we would treat somebody as sinful and unfaithful as we are. But God is not a man and He has no such thought for those who are in Christ.

Rom 8:1
Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus…

Once we are redeemed by Jesus, all the holiness, and splendor, and righteousness, and beauty of Christ are imparted to us. There is no fear for those in Christ. Have you said yes to Jesus? Then pull out your secret weapon and blast away all fear. If we would get a hold of this reality, all our lives would change.

 Nothing in this world could touch us.
 Nothing could steal our joy.
 Nothing could shake our confidence.

Two words: fear not. Go in Christ’s name and live them: Fear Not!


Prayer