Thursday, June 16, 2005

Ant Lessons

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! Prov 6:6

A spindly ant arrests a worm from destroying a farmer’s corn. As the parasite is carried off, the ant’s fuzzy legs unwittingly transfer pollen to waiting silks. On the journey home, the ant cordially rubs antennae with a brother carrying a seed to a new germination location. Our tiny friend skillfully places his worm deep inside tunnels that aerate the soil. Ants are more civilized, more industrious, more dependable, and benefit the earth more than humans do. In many places, they outweigh us in biomass. Yet, in our pride, we disregard the ant as an unsuccessful nuisance.

If we could ask an ant the secret of life, he would say, “Simplify. Focus on what God made you for, instead of everything else. You humans run around on the outer shell of life, chasing quantity over quality. Press your ear to God’s words and apply yourself to childlike obedience.”

This morning, I experimented with the ant’s advice. I landed in Romans 5; basic verses about peace with God. I have read this passage so many times my eyes tried to jump to what was next. Heeding the ant, I went back to meditate on the words. The Holy Spirit sent fresh insights. I saw the contrast between the hatful dissention I once had with God and the loving peace I now enjoy in Christ.

We say we understand a concept like peace with God, and because of the natural laziness of our minds, we shun further consideration. Our brains are limited, restless organs that require discipline toward deeper understanding of old truth. The ant’s wisdom gives the Spirit an opportunity to take us beyond our intellect and into spiritual knowledge.

I can hear the ant now as his antennae twitch with intensity, “Be still before God and let Him breathe long yards of truth into your heart through mere millimeters of experience.”

Prayer: Lord, I repent of my boisterous living. Grant me a quiet and attentive heart.