Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Thirsty For Life

You give them drink from your river of delights.
For with you is the fountain of life. Ps 36:8-9


Poor thirsty creature, her tongue dangled to the dirt. My golden retriever stayed at my heel, but what she wanted was to slide down the bank into the creek. “Just a bit more,” I crooned. We were headed home. It would be better if she’d hold her thirst. Our pool, brimming with sweet rain-water, waited. I know my dog. She can’t just lap up some creek and be on her way. No, she has to wade into it, become one with the mud, then drink befouled water. That would necessitate a soapy bath back home and general unhappiness. So I kept her close. Yet, all along the trail, the bubbling creek called to her.

My life story is in that paragraph. In the Bible water represents life: joyous, throbbing, satiating life. The books of Ezekiel and Revelation let us peek at the River of Life flowing from the throne of God. I want in that river. I have craved it all my days. Even the miniscule deposit now residing in my soul is my world. It defines the secret me. In God’s gifts I hear bubbling hints of true life calling along the trail. But the cleanness of those mouthfuls has been muddied by a fallen world and by my own slopping around in sin. They are no longer pure for drinking. Still, so powerful is my thirst that I twitch with desire. I am tempted to jump into the polluted trickle and get at some life NOW.

Then I hear Jesus reminding me, “We are almost home. Deep, turquoise pools of the living water you thirst after are waiting.” He soothes, “Bolting will get you muddy and miserable. I know your thirst, and I know the teasing in your ear is a torment, but wait because you have no idea of what I have for you if you’ll stay at my heel a little longer.”

Prayer: Lord, I am so ready for the plunge. Help me concentrate on Your path and voice.