Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Report #5 India/Africa Nov/Dec 2009

Dave’s Land Rover has a long history of breakdowns. As I arrived in Zimbabwe he got it back with a rebuilt engine. Then the battery and charging system went out and we had to borrow a battery and limp back to Chinhoyi for repairs.

Next, while we were out visiting rural villages, the front shock broke and we had a man temporarily weld it together. Then Cynthia was driving the Rover and the drive shaft U-joint broke. Rory and Gordon towed it back to Mhangura but in the confusion, the keys were misplaced. We searched high and low for three days—no keys.

Transportation problems are only a small part of the challenges these good people face daily. Everything is a challenge. The sarcastic phrase TIF (This is Africa) looses its humor from overuse.

I feel for Dave and so began to pray for direction. I sought God several times about the keys and had only the slightest feeling that the keys were tucked under something dark, perhaps something round. So launching on faith I told Dave yesterday that I would catch a ride from Doma to Mhangura and pray to find the keys or hotwire the Land Rover and drive it with the front driveshaft disconnected.

“We are cooking a chicken and will expect you for dinner,” were the last words Dave said to me.

In Mhangura the African workers helped me roll the vehicle a foot or two so I could look for the keys underneath. Nothing.

Next, I unbolted the steering lock then ran a hotwire to the glow plugs. The fuel pump proved to be mechanical, not electrical, so that was not a problem. However, when we jumped the Rover by towing it for about one kilometer, nothing happened except the towline broke four times.

I know very little about diesel engines so it remains a mystery why the Rover would not start. But my real question is why God did not reveal the location of the keys. For two weeks I have been teaching the staff lessons about listening to the Lord in ministry rather than using our own wisdom. Now I question my own teaching.

In fact, I question many things about my ministry, including why I am trying to start an orphanage in India. All this is making me step back and re-evaluate.

After much prayer and reading my Bible I conclude that God is much bigger than my concept of how he should help us. It is a fine thing to be bold and ask him for lost keys or to supernaturally cause orphanages to develop. However, life is in his hands, not mine and I simply need to humble myself and let his answer be his answer.

I often teach that there is no such thing as a great man of God; there are only humble men that God chooses to use greatly. Now I am learning to heed my own teaching and give God the room to use me or not as he chooses. My assignment is only to wait humbly.

I am now in Mhangura with no way to Doma where I am supposed to be helping Dave build on his house. So be it. I do not know what I will do with this day except I will wait on the Lord to see how all this comes out.

Trusting and Learning,

JDC