Monday, February 13, 2006

Sacrificing Success

But even if I am being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you. Phil 2:17

I am not bound to win
But I am bound to be true.
I am not bound to succeed,
But I am bound to live up to what light I have. Abraham Lincoln


I recently spearheaded a new outreach ministry. I bathed it in prayed, received outside training, wrote a prospectus, and waited for months on the Lord’s timing. When I felt He said go for it, I launched with zeal. The whole thing dried up within a week. What a lot of wasted calories. However, the Lord is turning my head to view the effort differently.

God says His ways are not my ways (Isa 55:8-9). One look at the cross makes that clear. By all rights, Jesus’ death on the cross was squandered potential. Yet in the spiritual realm it was the most clever coup d'état of all time. God purchased our forgiveness, stripped the enemy of power, swept millions into paradise, and extended a hand of friendship to the lowest of the low—quite impressive for a failure.

Re-evaluating my failed project in light of the cross reveals a grand spiritual success. Father was glorified by one obedient to Him; and this was obedience undiluted by earthly success. Had this thing blossomed, my deceitful heart would have sought the affirmation of the numbers gathered about me. It is a dangerous thing when we serve the growth of a ministry. Instead, by His grace, I have the affirmation of serving only Jesus. How wonderfully freeing it is to escape slavery to results and live instead for the Spirit of Jesus. I confess I need my at-a-boys like others, but there is only one voice that will fully satisfy.

Prayer: Jesus, I long to hear You say, “Well done good and faithful servant.”