Tuesday, November 29, 2005

A Life Wasted For Jesus

But even if I am being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from your faith, I am glad and rejoice… Phil 2:17

This morning was a tough one. The Lord asked me if I would I spend my life on a calling that showed no kingdom progress? The only legacy at the end of my days would be obedience. I recoiled. “Where is purpose in that? What glory would it bring to You Lord?” Still, the question hung in the air. I realized not only was He asking, but He had been asking for some time.

Yesterday, an experienced Christian jolted my ambitions. “While we are usually looking forward to a brighter kinder earthly future, living for Jesus in this failing world will only become more difficult. The world will be more, not less, hostile to Christians.” That grim insight snatched the bounce out of my expectations to have some positive impact on the planet.

Back to the question. What of it Don? Are you ready to say with John the Baptist, “He must become greater; I must become less” (Jhn 3:30)? I prolonged my reasoning, “Lord, isn’t it Your way to work through people to glorify Yourself? And You want me to embrace a life with no part in that?”

I knew in my spirit He confirmed, “That is what I’m asking. We will see your perseverance from heaven but no one else will. Are you willing?”

In turmoil, I got off my knees; it wasn’t working. I lay prostrate; still no peace. I sat up to pray. This had to be settled before leaving the room. Finally, I added this to my journal:
‘Lord I give You my life’s work. If I am poured out as a drink offering with no visible kingdom success, so be it. My definition of success will be obedience to You.’

Prayer: Lord, I give You everything; even my urge to be needed in Your work.